Serves 4-6 Prep ~1 hr Cook ~ 5 min Ready ~1 hr 5 mins
The meat that you use + the marinade really makes all the difference. The meat must be high quality and not too fatty, so it isn’t chewy. I used Carne Ranchera or "Flap Steak". Also, it should be very thin – if it's not, you can use a tenderizer to pound out the meat until the desired thickness.
4-6 steaks (ranchera/flap steak)
3-4 tablespoons of abuelita’s aliño
1-2 cups of breadcrumbs
~1 cup of vegetable oil
Step 1: Marinade
1. Season the meat generously with Abuelita’s Aliño, 3-4 garlic cloves and the juice of 2 oranges and 1 lemon.
2. Cover and let marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hr.
Step 2: Breading Station
1. In 3 separate plates – place the flour (with a generous pinch of salt and pepper), egg wash (4 eggs mixed with1/8 cup of water, salt and pepper) and seasoned breadcrumbs (abuelita’s aliño + finely grated bread crumbs).
2. Remove the steak from the marinade and place first in the flour, then egg wash and lastly, in the bread crumbs. Make sure the steak is completely coated in breadcrumbs. Let sit for 10 mins before frying.
Step 3: Frying the steaks
1. In a pan, pour about 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat on medium high.
2. Fry each steak until golden brown – about 3-4 mins on each side.
TIP! Make sure to place on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil after frying.