Serves 4-6 Prep 15 mins Cook 30 min Ready 45 mins
Chaulafan de pollo is Ecuadorian style chicken fried rice that can be found all over Ecuador. It's unique flavor comes from to the achiote that is added to the refrito and is a great option when you have leftover rice or roasted chicken. In my household, fried rice is a staple anytime there is leftover rice from the day before.
TIP: Day-old long or short grain white rice is best for this dish; make sure the rice isn’t too moist and is warm when its mixed in with the rest of the ingredients.
3 lbs of chicken breast
1 white onion
1 bell pepper (any color)
3 garlic cloves
1 green onion
¼ cup of frozen peas and carrots
½ bunch of cilantro
1/8 cup of soy sauce
3 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of salted butter
¼ teaspoon of achiote
2 cups of cooked white rice
2 tablespoons of abuelita’s aliño
salt and pepper
1. Marinate the chicken breasts in soy sauce for at least 20 mins before grilling.
2. Grill stovetop with butter or bake in the oven at 375F until the interior temp reaches 165F.
3. Shred the chicken with two forks or chop into small squares and set aside.
Peas and Carrots Prep
1. Boil the frozen peas and carrots in salted water for 5 mins.
2. Drain the water and set aside.
1. Scramble 6 eggs with butter and salt to taste on low-medium heat.
2. Once the eggs are fully cooked and fluffy, remove from the heat and set aside.
Day old, reheated white rice is best for this dish. Make sure the rice isn’t too watery/sticky; it needs to be on the drier side so it doesn’t become mush.
1. Finely dice white onion, bell pepper, garlic and ½ green onion and cook in 2 teaspoons of olive oil for 3-4 mins.
2. Once the onions are translucent and the refrito is cooked well, add in 2 tablespoons of abuelita’s aliño, 1/8 cup of soy sauce and 3 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce, mix thoroughly.
Final step – Mix all ingredients together.
1. First add in the rice and mix thoroughly with the refrito mixture.
2. Then, add in the chicken and eggs and mix in carefully, trying to maintain the fluffy consistency in the eggs.
3. Last, add in the peas and carrots, salt and pepper to taste along with the remaining chopped green onions as a topper.